On January 1, 2011, Rogers Sugar Income Fund converted into a conventional corporation under the name of Rogers Sugar Inc. This conversion has no impact on the operations of Lantic Inc.
Lantic Sugar Limited and Rogers Sugar Ltd. merged into a new operating entity now known as Lantic Inc., on June 30, 2008. The two companies had worked together as one for a number of years before the amalgamation. The finest traditions of both companies form the foundation of a culture that is national in character and diverse in ambition. We have entered a new and dynamic era in the life of our company, which began nearly a century ago.
The established trademarks of both Lantic and Rogers are being used by Lantic Inc. as we leverage the historic brand awareness we enjoy in Eastern Canada with the Lantic name, in Western Canada with the Rogers name.
Lantic Inc. is one of two refiners in eastern Canada and operates a cane sugar refinery in Montreal, Quebec. In Eastern Canada, sugar products are marketed primarily under the “Lantic” trade name and include granulated, icing, cube, liquid, yellow and brown sugars.
In Western Canada, Lantic Inc. is the leading refiner, processor, distributor and marketer of sugar products. The Company has two sugar processing facilities, a cane sugar refinery in Vancouver, British Columbia and a sugar beet processing facility in Taber, Alberta. The Company's sugar products are marketed primarily under the "Rogers" trade name, and include granulated, icing, cube, yellow and brown sugars, liquid sugars and specialty sugars and syrups.
"We work to benefit our customers, our people, communities and investors. Our team will conduct business ethically and professionally as we strive to have our brands, products and service recognized as the best."
We act purposefully every day to keep ourselves and our visitors safe
We work effectively as a team and deliver what we promise
We build strong relationships and collectively deliver on our commitments to customers
We consistently look for better ways to do things
We act with high integrity, enthusiasm and resolve
We strive to reduce our environmental footprint and add value to the bottom line
We are committed to provide support to the communities in which we operate
Lantic Inc. came into existence after the merger of Lantic Sugar Limited and Rogers Sugar Ltd. in June 2008 which resulted in the successful establishment of Lantic Inc. today.
Lantic Sugar has its roots in the Acadia Sugar Refining Co., a Scottish corporation, originally formed from a consolidation of three refinery operations in Nova Scotia and succeeded in 1912 by Atlantic Sugar Refineries when it built a cane sugar refinery in Saint John, New Brunswick.
St. Lawrence Sugar’s original cane refinery was built on the shores of the St. Lawrence river in 1888. Over the years, the building and processing facilities were frequently upgraded.
In 1981, Lantic Sugar began a program of diversification and rationalization that culminated in the purchase of St. Lawrence Sugar in Montreal in 1984. In 2000, Lantic consolidated its refining operations in Montreal and closed the Saint John plant. At the same time, the company reinvested in the Montreal facility, with a $120 million expansion and upgrade that doubled the plant’s capacity.
Rogers Sugar was established in 1890 by the entrepreneurial B. T. Rogers. Recognizing the high cost of transporting refined sugar by rail from Montreal to Vancouver, Rogers seized the opportunity for the west coast to refine its own sugar. Vancouver was strategically located to access raw sugar shipments from Pacific origins and send refined sugar to Canada's western population centres. Rogers' refinery was Vancouver's first major industry not based on logging or fishing. The Vancouver refinery is an efficient, productive facility with several million dollars invested in it annually in maintenance and capital projects. Also see: History of Rogers Sugar.
Rogers' involvement in the beet sugar industry dates back to the 1930's with factories at Raymond and Picture Butte in Alberta. Rogers' Winnipeg plant operated from 1940, but was closed in 1997 as a result of restricted access to the US market. Today's remaining operation is in Taber, Alberta, built in 1950. A $40 million expansion completed in 1999 increased this plant’s capacity by 50%.